1. Does RAIR provide any funding to an artist in residence?
This year, thanks to a generous grant from The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, we are able to offer stipends to all residents in 2019 and 2020. Each resident will receive an honorarium of $600 and will be able to inquire about financial assistance for travel and housing.
We also offer free studio space, access to waste materials, and assistance from the expert RAIR staff.
2. Does RAIR accept applications from artist collectives?
Yes, we do accept applications from collaborative groups. Only one application is needed for groups with multiple members; please include separate bios.
3. What kind of supplies does RAIR's workshop not provide to artists?
Extra hardware and additional materials not sourced from the waste stream are the resident's responsibility. This includes specialty tools and items that are not already stocked in the artist studio. A description of the shop and its capabilities is listed in the About Us section of our website.
4. Am I allowed to bring an assistant to work along side me during my residency?
Residents are allowed to have assistants working with them. Any assistant will be required to go through all safety training and the introduction process.
5. Can I take home my work after my residency?
During the residency, staff can help with the coordination of shipping and crating of work you wish to take with you; however, funding for shipping and crating will not be provided by RAIR. Construction of crates should be done within the given time frame of your residency, unless otherwise arranged with the RAIR staff.
6. Can I recycle my work back into the waste stream when my residency is done?
Yes! The RAIR staff is willing to assist residents with documenting their work before it ‘returns to the waste stream’. We do not require residents to destroy their work.
7. What if I don't consider myself a visual artist, but I would still like to apply?
We welcome applications from all those interested in applying for a residency. From archeologists to industrial designers to curators to architects to scientists, RAIR offers opportunities and resources to people from many different fields of study!
8. Can I submit to both the Biggie Shortie Residency and the Standard Residency?
Yes! You can submit to both residency programs in the same application cycle. We ask that you take note of the differences between the two residencies, and tailor each application individually. Therefore you will have to complete two separate application forms and pay two separate application fees.